Category Archives: Humor
A little humor is in order or maybe it is social commentary, I am not sure. I grew up hearing stories that started “A man walks into a bar…”. Sometimes these jokes involved animals. Evidently at least one individual in America took these jokes to heart and altered his life style.
You will find that Mr. Jerald Reiter, 55 was refused access to the Dog House Lounge, but only according to the owner because they were serving food that night. (Normally he would have been admitted with the Parrot and Zebra, I guess). When police stopped him in the parking lot of the bar he had the Zebra and Parrot in the front seat of his pickup truck. Reiter disputes the charges and says he realized he was too drunk to drive and was about to let a passenger in the truck to take the wheel when he was arrested. Assuming that neither the Parrot or the Zebra had a valid drivers licence and as they were the only passengers in the truck police were forced to arrest poor Mr. Reiter as his alcohol blood test was .14. The legal limit in Iowa is .08. Another case of police profiling I am sure! Dubuque police should not have assumed that neither had a valid drivers licence. If only Parrots and Zebras had effective civil rights organizations like the NAACP and La Raza! The link in above will take you to the story and video of his wife explaining all of the details.
Well, he’s in the Jail House now.
Good Saturday Morning!
Another cloudy and rainy day in the Bitterroots but all the rain will be appreciated come fire season. Our dry summers suck all of the moisture out of the trees if we don’t get enough rain and snow in the Winter and Spring months.
Just a few news items you may have missed this week.
This is a short but uplifting story on Conservatives from many religious backgrounds coming together to fight against the Obama health care law. Remember the old saying; “first they came for the Jews, but I wasn’t a Jew, then they came for the Catholics but I wasn’t a Catholic, ……..Then they came for me but there was no one left to help.”
Meet Soros-Funded Domestic Terrorist Brett Kimberlin Whose ‘Job’ Is Terrorizing Bloggers Into Silence
This is a story that should be read by everyone no matter what your political leanings. Without the freedom to share ideas and report facts the world will slip into anarchy. Which makes me wonder why this isn’t a story in the main stream media. This one hits particularly close to home since I am a blogger and some of my readers don’t agree with my viewpoints.
If you believe the main stream media; “the economy is recovering” then you might want to read this article. The saying as goes Europe so goes the United States is still in effect. As Greece talks of pulling out of the E.U. effectively declaring itself insolvent, it will create a line of falling dominoes. It is so serious that the United Kingdom is making plans to protect it’s citizens abroad and keep people from other E.U. nations from flooding in.
My grandfather on my mom’s side used to tell me as a boy; “kid, never let the facts get in the way of a good story”, (I think he got it from W.C. Fields). Anyway, looking back on it, I don’t think he ever broke that rule. Apparently Elizabeth Warren had a similar grandfather because she has taken it to all new levels in her life. Ms. Warren, if you are not familiar with her, is running against Scott Walker for Senate in Massachusetts. She is a blond, blue-eyed, ultra-liberal Harvard law professor who, despite a complete lack of evidence outside of “family lore” and “high cheekbones,” she listed herself as a “minority” professor in a law faculty directory for some years. She has never produced documentation showing her to be 1/32 Cherokee — that is, having a Cherokee great-great-great-grandfather. In fact it has turned out not to exist. BUT, LET’S NOT LET THAT SMALL FACT GET IN THE WAY OF USING THE STORY TO FURTHER YOUR CAREER!
Have a great Saturday
- Cherokee Genealogist to Elizabeth Warren: “Never are your ancestors ever found living among the Cherokees” (notesandobservations.me)
- Elizabeth Warren’s Native American Story Won’t Go Away (theatlanticwire.com)
- New England Historical Genealogical Society Rescinds Conclusion that Elizabeth Warren Might Be Cherokee (volokh.com)
Good Morning Fellow Regular Joes;
This is one of my Regular Joe alerts for all of you men out there. I know you get wrapped up in work, fishing, hunting, working on vehicles and all those other things; but tomorrow is one of those important annual events you want to make sure you don’t forget. Preparedness is the name of the game. Don’t wake up tomorrow morning with a special someone looking you in the face and you caught with that deer in the headlights stare!
Tomorrow is Mother’s Day. If you are reading this then sometime in the past a woman took some time off to give birth to you and most likely quite a bit more time to raise you and get you to where you are today. Tomorrow would be an excellent time to let her know you appreciate all that she has done. I am sure that she isn’t perfect…but then I suspect you aren’t either…I know there is that one mistake I made when I…..well, never mind…you know what I mean.
Besides your mother it’s not a bad idea to recognize the mother of your kids if you have any too. Now I know that it can be easy to start accusing the card companies and big corporations of a conspiracy plot to take over holiday’s and drain your wallet. On Valentines Day I had quite a discussion with several conspiracy theorists while we examined the cards and checked out prices over comments like “I can remember when a card was only….”. The more experienced, (old), the conspiracy theorist’s age the more common these comments are. But I digress.
The point here is not how much you spend but what you do. Just think back to what you remember about your mom or that special woman in your life. I bet the first, second or even third thing that comes to mind is not about some expensive gift you got from them. It is usually special times and events, and many of them don’t require money.
- Do something that you haven’t done in a while.
- Take a walk together
- Sit and talk on a park bench
- Buy a simple lunch for her and listen to all she has to say
- Almost all women appreciate flowers…although a few these day’s appreciate ammo and the like more
- In short think about what she likes and then do it. Read the rest of this entry
By Regular Joe aka Vernon Weiss
I actually feel a little odd accepting awards, although I greatly appreciate the consideration and thank you very much to; For His Glory and Praise, for the nomination. As I mentioned yesterday this is the second nomination that I have received this month. For those not familiar with these awards they usually come from fellow bloggers and usually have a few requirements to fulfill. In the case of the Versatile Blogger award it involves listing 7 things about yourself and 15 to 20 bloggers that you like. Now some might consider that a burden but I find it to be a rewarding experience.
First I find I get to know the person who nominated me much better. I have learned several exciting things about both of the bloggers who nominated me this month. Secondly I take very seriously the nomination or recommendation of other bloggers so do a bit of research on each of them before passing them along to you, my readers.
It is a busy world these days and I don’t take your time lightly; if you choose to come visit my blog I desire to make it worth your time. If there is one thing that gets me when I get a ping back, (a link to my blog from another site), it is when the other blogger just added a bunch of links without really reading what they were about. I know, God works in mysterious ways, and I have certainly seen that since I started my blog, but I still find it aggravating at times.
So here are 7 things about myself; (none revealed in yesterday’s post)
- The only sport I really follow is NASCAR, which I have followed all my life. In Junior High I worked weekends and summers at a local dirt track in Waterloo, Iowa.
- It doesn’t bother me in the least to be called a person clinging to my Bible and my guns, although it concerns me that the current President of the United States finds that so abhorrent.
- Jack of all trades and master of none hits pretty close to the mark although I consider myself to be a really good carpenter in the residential and commercial areas.
- I believe that through Christ you can accomplish anything you put your mind to as long as you rely on Christ for wisdom and strength and then give him the glory for it when you accomplish it.
- Beside Christ the most important person in my life is my life partner, my wife. She completes me and balances me.
- My musical tastes vary widely from Rock in its various forms to country, to gospel and contemporary Christian music. Probably my favorites are Mississippi Blues and Southern Rock.
- The older I get the more I realize that I can really mess things up when I am not walking with the Lord and the happier I am when I am walking in his footsteps.
Now you know a little more about ‘Regular Joe’, the man behind the curtain so to speak.
15 to 20 Bloggers I like:
These are in no particular order although the ones I follow the most are closer to the top of the list.
- Three Days to Anarchy http://drivelanddope.wordpress.com
- Fraidy Cat Confessions http://shelleyring.wordpress.com/
- Chief of the least http://chiefofleast.com/
- Broken Believers http://brokenbelievers.com/
- Life of a Female Bible Warrior http://lifeofafemalebiblewarrior.wordpress.com/
- Roger Tharp http://rogertharpe.wordpress.com/
- Media 4 Life Ministries http://media4lifeministries.com/about/
- Justification by Grace http://justificationbygrace.com/
- Psalms Life http://psalmslife.com/
- Fellowship of the Minds http://fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com/
- His Creation http://bigskyken.wordpress.com/
- Dorothy’s Space http://uphans7.wordpress.com/
- The Revival Generation http://therevivalgeneration.wordpress.com/
- Bummyla http://bummyla.wordpress.com/
- When is a Party Not a Party? http://whenisapartynotaparty.wordpress.com/
- The Waking Giant http://twg2a.wordpress.com/
- Of Dust and Kings http://ofdustandkings.com/
- Prepping 2 Prep http://prepping2prep.wordpress.com/
- RMACTSC http://rmactsc.wordpress.com/
- Wild Cookery http://wildcookery.wordpress.com/
Well that is my list of 20 blogs I follow. I hope you find some interesting reading. By the way these are all smaller WordPress Blogs, I also follow some large national / worldwide blogs but I figured they were outside of the realm of the award and get plenty of attention anyway.
Have a great Saturday out and about!
- A Major Award X 2! (5gsandacupofjoe.net)
By Regular Joe aka. Vernon Weiss
In the world of blogging there are a couple of things that keep me going.
- One is that I truly feel that God wants me to be doing what I am doing and the Holy Spirit is leading me.
- The second is the feedback that I get from people that follow my posts. Some are positive sharing thoughts comments and feelings, some are asking real questions and some are just negative, people venting because their hearts are filled with hate and have not experienced the peace and joy the can come through a life in Christ.
Warning! Attention! Rabbit Trail Approaching.
When I hear of awards my mind goes to the movie The Christmas Story. Maybe because I grew up in Iowa or that I wore a lot of the same clothes as ‘Ralphy’ when I was young, or I remember houses just like his that my friends lived in. And of course, if you are familiar with the movie, you will remember the ‘Major Award’ that Ralph’s dad won for entering a crossword puzzle contest. It came in a large box marked fragile which his dad horribly mispronounced as an Italian word. The awards I have nothing to do with the movie but my mind wanders and I felt compelled to share my thoughts with you.
I now return you to my original thought.
In the last week or two I have received nominations from fellow bloggers for two awards for 5 G’s and a Cup of Joe. I am truly honored by both of these. To be honored in such a way tells me that other bloggers take what I am doing seriously, (except maybe my humor), and I highly value their input. They have been living the life longer than I and I am sure understand the struggles that I go through. Read the rest of this entry